Wednesday, November 7, 2007

too much information


Over the years, my relationship with the too-familiar pharmacist Steve has become comfortable.

Take tonight for instance. While Steve was spending time on the bench talking with someone he shouted out "I'll be with you in a minute Heidi!"

I smiled and turned around and studied the sale items, wanting to give the bench lady some privacy. I held up a bottle of Airborne, wondering if it actually works and if it actually was invented by a teacher.

A lady pharmacist came to help me while Steve was busy.

As she was ringing up my prescriptions she looked at my finger and said, "Is that your wedding ring?"

Magically, Steve was done with his customer and suddenly in our conversation too.

"Yes" I said. Hoping there would be no more questions.

"I like it!" she said.

"Me too!" said Steve, "Is it platinum or white gold?"

I sighed. I wished I could lie. I answered, "Neither."

They both stared at me.

"I lost my real wedding ring" I said. They kept staring at me. "And my engagement ring actually."

"What happened?" Steve asked.

"Well, I don't remember what happened exactly with the engagement ring. A supper club parking lot with my mother I think... but the wedding ring I lost while I was picking up trash by the Mississippi River on Earth Day."

They just kept staring.

"So this one my mother bought for me on the street in Las Vegas. It's weird because people comment on it all the time."

Steve wondered if I had insured my wedding ring. I hadn't. Then he made a funny pharmacist joke. "Some kid will find it someday with a metal detector and wonder whose ring it was!"

Good one Steve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

News Bulletin: I just found out that yout all too familiar pharmacist you call Steve is related to someone you "know pretty well" (and I mean to put that in air quotes)...... Happy New Year!