Thursday, October 18, 2007

not very wordy lately


Life has been whizzing by, and No, that's not Cheese Whiz brother. First I was at this jam-packed conference, then I was catching up from being gone at a conference, and now we're in the last 2 days of our fundraiser... oh yeah, Tom is hunting every moment he gets, and I am, as always, trying to catch up on my reading.

I'm getting ready for an interview with the South African writer Zakes Mda. His book is called Cion. Already I'm off kilter because I don't really know how to pronounce his first or last name or the title of the novel. And the book begins with the word "sciolist". My head is swimming. The good news is the guy is a beekeeper, so perhaps I can ask him lots about bees.

Anyone know the definition of sciolist? I mean without looking it up.... I've already done that.

And Happy Birthday Dad! Hope you enjoyed the nuts!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Zakes Mda was amazing. I even pronounced everything and learned a lot. One thing: I asked him about the old adage of "write what you know". He said,

"It is absolutely CRUCIAL for me to write what I DON'T know."

Anonymous said...

Thank you!! I didnt eat them all at one sitting.