Thursday, September 6, 2007

In Other News

Some have inquired into the nature of the subheading beneath Cobb County.

US NEWS AND CURLING REPORT.

The good news is that it is less dangerous than me with a curling iron. What it really involves is my ongoing education into the world of curling.

Okay fine, there was one email. It went something like this:

> Are you really curling? Damn, that makes me jealous:
Now would be the time to tell you about watching my mom curl being,
easily, one of my earliest memories. The rink in Grafton, ND had a
bar/restaurant/diner thing where your no-frills observation "balcony" would
be normally. I'd eat grilled cheese and then spin the seats of the diner's
counter stools until someone made me stop. Then I'd watch mom practice
through the glass. They used brooms with long, straw bristles back then.


Grand Rapids is big on curling. Who am I kidding? It's Bob the Gardener who is big on curling. And the Canadian TV station we get proudly claims "It's Curling Night in Canada!" Or maybe that was just during the hockey strike.

Bob is a member of the seniors league and I'm bound and determined to go see him play this year.

So far my education is very limited. There's a stone (round granite playing piece. Also known as the rock), a broom and people shouting HURRY HURRY HURRY.

We'll see what the winter has in store. I hear there is a women's league.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I for one need to know more aboot this Olympic sport of curling.