Tuesday, August 21, 2007

what's cooking


While we were on the North Shore walking on rocks over the weekend, Tom and I came to a decision. 27 by Thanksgiving! Am I right ladies? Okay, so the number and the catch phrase only have meaning to us (and we're going to keep it that way!) But we're going to get healthy by Thanksgiving. And then we'll eat a lot. Better food, more excercise, you know the drill.

Tom's working at the nursing home tonight and I'm making salad and soup for when he gets home. The salad turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.

GINGER CHICKEN CABBAGE SLAW
1 Tbsp Hay River Pumpkin Seed Oil
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp Asian dark sesame oil
1 Tbsp grated peeled fresh ginger
bag of broccoli slaw
4 scallions

So here's what I did: grilled the chicken, cut it up and then whisked together all the other ingredients until blended. Then I added the chicken and had my own taste test. I added a little more Pumpkin Seed oil. Chill for 30 minutes.

We'll see what the mayor has to say on this one.

The soup is out of a Cooking Light book I got after interviewing Chef Billy. It's called Thai Shrimp and Chicken Soup. I bought clam juice for the first time for this recipe. We'll see how it goes...

No comments: